Debbie Smith is the founding member
and owner of Diving with Sharks.
Debbie is the 1st woman in Africa to have been nominated, selected and inducted into the international Women Divers Hall of Fame, for her outstanding achievements and contributions as a woman in diving. WDHOF is an international non-profit professional honour society whose members span a wide variety of fields including: The Arts, Science, Medicine, Sports, Exploration, Marine Archeology, Media, Service, Dive Training and Education, Safety, Business, Marine Environment and Conservation, Free Diving, Commercial Diving and Military Diving.
Debbie’s dive career started in 1986 and the following are her achievements to date:
- Master Scuba Diver Trainer instructor
- PADI Open Water Scuba instructor
- PADI Shark Awareness instructor
- One of the first to dive with a Great White shark free of a cage
- Free diving with Mako sharks & Blue sharks
- PADI Distinctive Speciality instructor in Ragged-tooth sharks, Tiger sharks, Zambezi (Bull) sharks, Blacktip Sharks, Whale sharks, Manta Rays.
- SharkLife PRO member
- SharkLife conservation group Distinctive instructor – Ragged-tooth sharks, Tiger sharks, Zambezi (Bull) sharks, Blacktip sharks, Whale Sharks, Manta Rays
- SRI – Shark Research Institute international field agent
- Instrumental and assisted in the complete set up of Rocktail Bay, Maputaland, South Africa dive operation, from finding of dive sites, mapping of dive sites to full operational status and beyond www.safariadventurecompany.com / www.wilderness-safaris.com
- Instrumental in setting up the Ragged tooth shark monitoring programme at Rocktail Bay
- Instrumental in the complete set up of North Island, Seychelles, dive centre, from finding of dive sites, mapping of dive sites to full operational status and beyond.
- North Island has won many major international awards including – No 1 in the world, Best of the Best category by Conde Nast Traveller (UK) in the 2006 9th Annual Conde Nast Readers’ Awards, No 1 by Harpers & Queen (UK) the best Hotel on Earth – October 2005, www.north-island.com
- Instrumental in setting up the Coral Research & Monitoring project on North Island, Seychelles
- Instrumental in setting up the Shark Stocks survey programme on North Island, Seychelles
- Instrumental in setting up the Whale Shark monitoring & research programme on North Island, Seychelles
- Sardine run in-water specialist guide
Diving with Sharks is an eco-tourism company specializing in:
- Shark Diving
- Shark Conservation Courses
- Shark Research Diving
- Ocean Awareness Courses
for Divers & Non-Divers
- Unique Team-Building / Conservation Product
- Mobile Guided Dive Trips
- Casual Reef Diving
- Aliwal Shoal & Rocky Bay
- Sardine Run
We pride ourselves on our meticulous attention to detail, our ability to provide that personal service and above all, on our long standing experience within the diving industry to make sound decisions. It is our passion to further promote and educate all on the plight of our oceans, how we can all make a valued difference, big or small and ultimately to be a voice for those that cannot speak for themselves and who rely on us for ongoing protection.